Friday, December 7, 2012

Times Flies, When You’re Having Fun

                                                                                  Regurgitating Thoughts 
                                                Real Thoughts from your Average Chick

                                                     By UMES Senior Jordan Hamilton

                                                          
Times Flies, When You’re Having Fun  

I remember it like it was yesterday, a tear trickled down my cheek as we approached the campus. It was time to say our goodbyes. The two people I relied on for 18 years of my life would be leaving me to grow and mature on my own for four long years. I was scared, but excited at the same time. These would be the longest four years of my life, but it was up to me to make the most of it.
                                   Fast forward 4 ½ years later >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Time truly does fly. It feels like it was just yesterday I was waving goodbye to my support system. I always envisioned college would be exactly the way they portrayed it on the big screen and I must say that for the most part the vision was real. These four years have had plenty of ups and down, I had my moments when I wanted to give up but for the most part college was the best experience of my life. I can say that I truly grew up and matured over these long 4 ½ years. Not only did I find myself, but I found love and I learned to balance. Let’s not get it twisted, I also had several moments where I had to tell myself to “BE REAL”, I lost the love I gained and fell off balance a time or two. I wouldn’t have been able to keep my composure if it wasn’t for the grace and mercy of God. When I couldn’t think straight and I wanted to give up, HE spoke to me and reminded me that the end was closer than I thought. College is truly what you make it. My freshman year was one of the best years of my life; I met some great people and had some of the greatest experiences in my life. As the years dragged along, I can’t say that they all measured up to the bliss I experienced during my first year, but they were worth it. I came to college young, naïve and not without a true understanding of who I was or who I wanted to become over the years. The end is finally near and I can say with a smile on my face that although I fell ten times, I got up another ten. I found my true self, I learned what I did and didn’t like, I learned the true meaning of love and how a heartbreak feels, I made and lost friends, my grades dropped, my grades exceeded my expectations, I lived and I learned. If it wasn’t for the experiences I had throughout my college journey I honestly don’t know if I would be the same person. I met some great people, friends as well as mentors/teachers and I will never, ever forget them. Although UMES may not have been the first choice I had on my lists of colleges when I was applying, I don’t think that my experience in college would have been the same if I had attended somewhere else. I have memories to last a lifetime and I am proud to say that I called the University of Maryland Eastern Shore my home for those few years of my life.
          Once a hawk, always a hawk, I will forever bleed maroon and grey for the rest of my days.

UMES Family!
Leave a comment.

SUBSCRIBE to Real Life @ UMES!

Look to the right of the blog posts to: Submit your email address, or subscribe by RSS Feed on My Yahoo, Google, in a Reader, etc.
SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.

If you are a UMES student, faculty, or staff member and you would like to join our Blog Team, please send an email request to: communications@umes.edu to receive an application.

The Real Life @ UMES Blog is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment