Monday, February 11, 2013

The Chick in the Bathroom Pic


An Elective on Perspective
                                                     by UMES Junior Brittany Johnson 



The Chick in the Bathroom Pic

Hey, guys! I’ve missed you. Hopefully the time we’ve spent apart has been as beneficial for you as it has been for me. I have been able to lay a good amount of my demons to rest. I’ve finally stood face to face with the person who’s wronged me for so long . . . the person who has held me back, put me into compromising positions, made me think less of myself, and at the end of the day, has kept me from reaching my ultimate potential. Alas, I’ve stood face to face with ME. Yea, that’s right! I’m the sick son-of-a-gun that’s been holding me back. In my professional development class last semester, a guest speaker said something that stuck with me: “Wherever you go, there you are.” Oh, the irony of it all. It’s that awkward moment when you’re looking for someone to blame, and you’re the only one standing there.

When you realize that your legs, and how far you extend yourself, solely determines how far you go, you are at that point where you are simultaneously boundless and liable. I have a great opportunity ahead of me. One that far outweighs anything I’ve ever had the chance of doing. My excitement, however, has been spiked with the mocker, self doubt. And oh, what a mocker it is. It’s that small voice in the back of your head telling you that although you have the tools, you are not capable enough to use them. Do you know what I said to that little voice . . . that voice that is incessant about making you throw in the towel before you’ve even started the race? That voice is a little nag that has to point out the fact that your cup, although half full, is half empty. Do you want to know what I said? “Shut the full cup!”

Because, you see, my cup is indeed full. In fact, it is pressed down, shaken together, and running over. The test is hard? You decide how long you study. The job is too early? You decide what time you wake up. Your woman is no good? You decide how long you deal with her. Someone has lied to you? You decided to believe them. No matter how far out of line someone else can get, it only affects your equilibrium when you allow it to knock you of balance. It’s inevitable that you will be negatively affected by other people. But it’s up to you, just as everything else is in your life, how you react. And yes, how you react determines the outcome; and many outcomes determine your future. Michael Jackson focused on the man in the mirror. I’ll start work on the chick in the bathroom pic. *Insert duck face* I am facing me, the good, the bad, and the hideous. I decide my future and I’ve chosen success. 

How far can you take yourself? 

Have you met you?

You’ve just taken, An Elective on Perspective.



UMES Family!
Leave a comment.

SUBSCRIBE to Real Life @ UMES!

Look to the right of the blog posts to: Submit your email address, or subscribe by RSS Feed on My Yahoo, Google, in a Reader, etc.
SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.

If you are a UMES student, faculty, or staff member and you would like to join our Blog Team, please send an email request to: communications@umes.edu to receive an application.

The Real Life @ UMES Blog is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment