Monday, October 1, 2012

An Exclusive Amber Rant: Grammar Check

                                                              A Dash of Am
                                                 by UMES Senior Amber Green
                             
                                        

                                         An Exclusive Amber Rant: Grammar Check


Today, I was planning out my day while riding the UMES Shuttle to campus.
9:30 Meeting….11:00 job interview in Salisbury…12:30 brainstorming session with a friend…
The shuttle stops at Arden’s. A herd of half-dressed and overly dressed students climbed on.
Call daddy…check up on my big head brother…thank mommy for the money in my account…
A very loud and boisterous voice broke through my thoughts.
“GIRL!! WHAT TIME IT IS??!”
Pause. Are you serious?
It bothers me to see this ugly green squiggly line for the above quote I just typed. Microsoft grammar check is possibly thinking I’ve lost my mind or worst, became a product of my environment.  Like seriously, why we are paying this outlandish tuition if we aren’t going to at least show that we are learning something. I’m giving some people the benefit of the doubt because study shows, according to an article on OutsidetheBeltway.com, 73% of entering freshman aren’t ready for college.
But still -_____-
We learned Basic English in elementary school.
“Well, that’s how we talk where I’m from.”
Shut up. Then go back there if you aren’t going to at least return home showing mommy and daddy that their money is being put to good use.
“You just talk white.”
Oh. This one is my favorite response. Talking with correct grammar and pronouncing my words is “talking white?” That’s funny.
I am not saying that I do not use slang. I can say, “Cise me with a McDouble” real quick. Though, to go to extent of making it a habit at a higher learning institute is backwards to me. I don’t know. I can go on for hours on this topic and others. Like for instance, what possess some girls to walk out their room with their hair wrapped and in their pajamas? It kills me. That’s not cute. That’s not “comfortable.” That’s lazy at its finest. But that is another post!
Much Love
Am
UMES Family!
Leave a comment.
SUBSCRIBE to Real Life @ UMES!
Look to the right of the blog posts to: Submit your email address, or subscribe by RSS Feed on My Yahoo, Google, in a Reader, etc.
SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.
If you are a UMES student, faculty, or staff member and you would like to join our Blog Team, please send an email request to: communications@umes.edu to receive an application.
The Real Life @ UMES Blog is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace.

2 comments:

  1. This is too funny! LMBO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. http://anixusa.com/check-valve

    ReplyDelete