Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Thinking Positively

                                   
       Because I Said So 
     by UMES Senior Marina Anoh
    
 
  Thinking Positively

Have you ever felt like giving up? Have you ever wanted to say enough is enough, I’m through? Well, I have.
Last week I was in the mist of going through my daily routine. I was thinking I was going to be going to class, planning for my older sister’s wedding, talking to friends, and going to work. Suddenly it was like the worst thing that could ever happen, happened. I lost my keys and after that it was like a chain effect. It was one thing after the other. After losing my keys I realized I didn’t have my bridesmaids dress for the wedding, and didn’t know if it would come on time. Then I received a call from my job saying they forgot I had somewhere to go and had me scheduled for the whole weekend. On top of all this I forgot to pay my phone bill, so now my phone was off and I had no way of communicating with the outside world. Talk about bad luck right?
The next day I was on my way to get my bus ticket in the SSC. As I was walking, I realized that the time on the wall and the time on my wrist watch were different. I panicked. What time was right? I asked the lady at the ticket window what the time was and yes, you guessed it, my time was incorrect and my bus was due to come in 20 minutes. That wasn’t that bad of news until my friend ran up the steps and told me that the bus was early and was outside. I asked the lady for my ticket as I preordered it online, she seemed not to be finding my name and was very reluctant to give me a ticket. She finally found my ticket and gave it to me. I ran down the steps like a crazy woman who thought the building was on fire. I saw the bus doors close. I yelled for the driver to stop and he did, I got on the bus and was on my way to Delaware.
As I was looking for a seat I saw one by the back, so I went to take my seat. All was fine until the bus made a stop in Salisbury, MD. People got off the bus and more people got on. There was a woman who decided out of all the open seats on the bus she wanted to sit next to me. It would just be my luck that she had a cold. She sat next to me sneezing and coughing for the whole 2 hour drive down to Delaware. Talk about being upset, I was furious. When I got off the bus my father picked me up and we went to the hotel and once again, you guessed it, I was sick. I could not believe it. Out of all the weeks for something like this to happen to me it would have to be this week. I couldn’t wrap my mind around it. My father fixed me some tea and gave me some medication to feel better. When he left the room I just sat there looking at the wall asking why. Why is this happening to me? I wondered what I have done for this to be taking place. My sister walked into the room and said, “Just think positively.” I looked at her like she was crazy. She sat next to me and said the only person that could turn my luck was me and if I think positive, then positive things would happen. So I decided to give it a try, what else could really happen to me right? I had nothing to lose and it turned out she was right, as soon as I stopped thinking about the negative things that were taking place and looked at the good things, I started having a better day. I was so happy. I now see that just like everything else in life, things are what you make of them.  I now know the power of thinking positively and I would advise others to do the same.
Don’t throw in the towel no matter how bad things get.
Just think positively.
Why? Because I said so.

UMES Family!
Leave a comment.
SUBSCRIBE to Real Life @ UMES!
Look to the right of the blog posts to: Submit your email address, or subscribe by RSS Feed on My Yahoo, Google, in a Reader, etc.
SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.
If you are a UMES student, faculty, or staff member and you would like to join our Blog Team, please send an email request to: communications@umes.edu to receive an application.
The Real Life @ UMES Blog is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment