Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Yet another Exclusive Amber Rant: Excessive Wrapping

A Dash of Am
by UMES Senior Amber Green


Yet another Exclusive Amber Rant: Excessive Wrapping
Not too long ago on the shuttle, while the driver waits for every single person who decided to take an extra 10 minutes, totally disregarding that I have a 10 am class, I noticed that bonnets and silk scarfs resembling turbans and Tupac are still a go-to accessories for early morning birds on campus. So while I wait (because it really does take 30 min to get on campus), I analyze the situation.
Problem #1: It is professional dress Monday and ladies are either dressing like they're going to the club or worse, the corner store to pick up some milk and cash a check. That is not cute, let alone professional. I get it, I’ve been there, those 8:00 am classes are no joke. You wake up late, only have 30 min. to get ready and 15 of that is in the shower. There is no time for a flat iron or to put a curl anywhere. I have a solution. It works. It fixes it all. I’m talking about a pony tail.
All you need is a brush, some Pink Lotion, a hair tie, and if you are natural or failed to get that relaxer this week, some Jam for your edges. It’s not that hard. It’s simple and professional.
But it’s just class, Dang!”
Wrong. Treat class like it was a job. Sometimes, I wish professors would deduct points for not coming to class prepared, if not mentally, at least physically.
“I’m not trying to impress anybody.”
Wrong again. You don’t know who you will meet. Every day is a networking opportunity, especially at UMES.

Primary example (a turning point in my college career), I was headed to Career Services to get some material to prepare for this Career Fair they were having. I was wearing sweatpants, a t-shirt, hair wrapped in this bright neon pink scarf, purse in one hand and Hawk’s Nest in the other! I was looking Bad (not the good bad but the bad bad). I’m speaking with the Receptionist at the front desk and the Representative from a leading company who was there looking for student interns comes walking out from the back. I knew who they were and just recently sent my application to their Human Resources Department.

You know what did? I left that office so fast; I was a track star for a quick second. What I could have done, if I was dressed decently? Introduce myself and begin networking.
So take it from me, leave your room as if you are trying to get a job. Market yourself. Do not be lazy. You represent yourself, your family, and when you are on campus, this school.

Take heed because my next blog post could be inspired by you.
UMES Family!
Leave a comment.
SUBSCRIBE to Real Life @ UMES!
Look to the right of the blog posts to: Submit your email address, or subscribe by RSS Feed on My Yahoo, Google, in a Reader, etc.
SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.
If you are a UMES student, faculty, or staff member and you would like to join our Blog Team, please send an email request to: communications@umes.edu to receive an application.
The Real Life @ UMES Blog is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment