Monday, March 11, 2013

Know Your Worth

Know Your Worth
By UMES Senior Kyla Bibbins
Headlining this year’s Homecoming concert was Hip-hop recording artist 2Chainz and Juicy J. I must say that the concert was very entertaining. Before the 2Chainz incident that led to his late arrival to the concert hip-hop artist Juicy J performed a few of his songs. Personally I am not a huge fan of Juicy J, but I do enjoy his music from time to time.
 Before I make my point, I want to make it clear that I thought his performance was very energetic and it was not bad at all! But during his performance he made a comment that made me look twice.  While on stage Juicy he made a verbal request for all of the (we’ll just say female dog’s) to come to the stage to dance. In the Hip-Hop world this phrase is not new so I don’t know why I even thought twice about what he said, but for whatever reason his remark didn’t sit well with me on this particular occasion.  I’m not sure why, maybe it was the sight of watching my peers bombard the stage to shake something for Juicy that made me uneasy.  It was like everything that we females usually frown upon was being overlooked because he was a celebrity.
He made his remark and to my surprise a large amount of willing young women expressed their interest in coming to the stage to dance. Personally that fact did not surprise me, what surprised me was that despite being referred to as a female dog they still eagerly went on stage and danced for this man that seemed to have no respect for them as individuals, if they got to close to him on the stage his body guards would push them back. I understand that they might have been a little excited to see Juicy J. But I hope next time they come across an opportunity to dance with a celebrity that they do it in the most tasteful, respectful way. I hope that they understand that the only way to be treated like a queen is to act like one and to know your worth.

UMES Family!
Leave a comment.

SUBSCRIBE to Real Life @ UMES!

Look to the right of the blog posts to: Submit your email address, or subscribe by RSS Feed on My Yahoo, Google, in a Reader, etc.
SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.

If you are a UMES student, faculty, or staff member and you would like to join our Blog Team, please send an email request to: communications@umes.edu to receive an application.

The Real Life @ UMES Blog is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment