Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Mentoring

                                                 Regurgitating Thoughts 
                                                  Real Thoughts from your Average Chick

                                                      By UMES Senior Jordan Hamilton
                                                   

Mentoring

Growing up I always wished I had the opportunity to have someone older than me who I could look up to outside of family. Aside from teachers, I never really had that support system growing up who could help shape me into the young woman I would grow up to be. As I got older, I decided that since I was never granted that opportunity when I was younger, I would be that support system once I matured. It wasn’t until Spring 2012 when I finally got the opportunity to be a mentor. Yes, I was a mentor and it was the best decision I had ever made. I had no clue that UMES students were mentors to local elementary school students. It was finally my turn to make a difference and that was exactly what I did. Mrs. Hood, a representative at Greenwood Elementary said the following about the mentoring program, “The UMES student mentoring program is an integral part of our students' academic success and social well-being. The students at Greenwood Elementary School enjoy the individualized attention and interest provided to them from their mentors. The staff greatly appreciates the time and effort that has been given to our students and looks forward to continuing this invaluable partnership.” Myself and several other students from the university would take time out of our busy schedule to be a big brother or big sister to those who needed it most. Most of these children were going through a lot within their homes and they needed someone to steer them on the right path. Mentors had between one and three mentees at a time. Regular meetings with mentees consisted of working on homework, sitting in on classroom discussions, making sure everything was going on the right track and group activities on weekends. Keeping your word and showing up to meet with your mentees is one of the most important things to remember when it comes to being a men tor. I learned while mentoring that these children grow to look up to you and when you tell them something, they don’t forget it. I had the opportunity of speaking with the former principal of Princess Anne Elementary School, Mrs. Johnson and finding out her perspective on the mentoring program she said, “I was thrilled to have an opportunity to provide my students with great role models, additional help with academics, and someone that they could talk to. All of these were benefits that my students acquired through the mentoring collaboration with UMES. The mentors went above and beyond their responsibilities as a mentor to help my students. In a society where there are many negative forces impacting our children's daily lives, this mentoring program was a positive ray of hope for my students. “Becoming a mentor allowed me to better myself while helping better someone else. There are so many children, but not enough mentors out there. If you are interested in making a difference in someone’s life and mentoring at either Princess Anne Elementary School or Greenwood Elementary school, contact Dr. Wright in the History department at jkwright1492@yahoo.com.
UMES Family!
Leave a comment.
SUBSCRIBE to Real Life @ UMES!
Look to the right of the blog posts to: Submit your email address, or subscribe by RSS Feed on My Yahoo, Google, in a Reader, etc.
SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.
If you are a UMES student, faculty, or staff member and you would like to join our Blog Team, please send an email request to: communications@umes.edu to receive an application.
The Real Life @ UMES Blog is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment