Thursday, September 6, 2012

Bad Boys! Frat Boys! Whacha gonna do? Whacha gonna do when they come for you?



Because I Said So
by UMES Senior Marina Anoh



Bad Boys! Frat Boys!
Whacha gonna do? Whacha gonna do when they come for you?
As a beautiful female at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore I have come to know a lot of different people. Most of the people who approached me when I first arrived to the university were fraternity members. They were a very nice, outgoing, and energetic group of guys. They welcomed me and my friends to come hang out with them and by the end of the first week of school my roommate and I went to their apartment to hang out. Now mind you, most upperclassmen at the shore live off campus. That means me and my roommate walked off campus because as freshmen we did not have a car which was very dangerous. But, as new students we were very excited and the thought of being kidnapped, raped, or anything of that sort seemed to escape our minds.
Furthermore, we went to their house, hung out and had a ball. Nothing relatively bad happened but I must be honest, this was the very first time I was introduced to alcohol and actually felt pressured to engage in drinking it. Now, once again mind you I was 17 and very much open to trying new things and experiencing life on my own. I was very smart and mature for my age so I am proud to say that even though I felt pressured I did not drink. I also would like to point out that no one put a drink to my mouth and said “here drink this” (although someone did say “you’re too uptight relax” and put a drink in my hand). Later on during the following weeks other young men from other fraternities came to me and asked to hang out. I suppose they were just being friendly but as the semester progressed I came to see that it was an epidemic. This wasn’t just happening to me. A lot of the other freshman girls in the dorms were talking about how they got invited to hang out with upperclassmen and the majority of them were frat boys.
 Now I don’t know what it is with boys in fraternities but once again they seemed to be the most outgoing group of guys on campus. If it was a party they were there, if there was an event they were there, and if involves young girls they were there.  Now you can say this applies to most young men but these guys were different. They hung out in herds.  It was never just one person coming up to you it was always him and his “brothers.” So when you went to hang out, know that his brothers were going to be there; they never did anything alone which could be looked at in two ways. On one hand you could say there are multiple people there so you feel safer as you are not alone. But on the other hand there is also the fact that these guys have a bond like no other. But that also makes me wonder, if it came to protecting you or his brother who do you think he would choose?
As young women we have to be smart in protecting ourselves and our right. Our decisions should be based on what is ultimately best for us. As we come into new places in our lives it is bound that we will make mistakes. Though this fact is inevitable we have to be wise and make the right decision because the decisions we make now will affect us for the rest of our lives and will also shape the people we come to grow into.
Girls just wanna have fun.
There is nothing wrong with that.
Just have smart fun.

UMES Family!
Leave a comment.
SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.
The Real Life @ UMES Blog is written by students. It is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace.
You Tube:               youtube.com/discoverumes
Instagram:              umesfamily
Twitter:                     @UMESNews
Blogger:                  umesfamily.blogspot.com
Facebook:            “University of Maryland Eastern Shore”
Flickr:                         flickr.com/umesphotos

5 comments:

  1. I love this post.The same thing happened to me freshmen year. You are right we all have to be have in what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has to be the best post yet. I feel like a lot of people can relate! I will keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is the best one on here too @simple Amber...... This stuff is too real.

      Delete
  3. Ever find yourself wondering'who just texted or called your spouse?ever wondered why they get those weird calls or vibrations from text messages late at night?don't be a victim and never allow your devotion be played.Find out the truth today and clear your relationship or marital doubt.contact "hackingloop6 @ g m a i l. c o m" or text him on + 1 612 502 3647,if you are having trust issues in your relationship or if you want to check on your employees commitment...i tried him and he positively delivered,so i promised him to share this to anyone need such closure.

    ReplyDelete