Tuesday, September 11, 2012

BET 2012: THE BEST SUMMER OF MY LIFE



The Way I See It
by UMES Senior Jasmine Walden



BET 2012: THE BEST SUMMER OF MY LIFE
Around Memorial Day of this year, I received the news of a lifetime.
Me, Jasmine Airiyona Walden, was selected as a 2012 intern at BET in the Corporate Communications department in NYC. My screams of joy could be heard from Jersey to Bangkok. I was so ecstatic! Wowwwwww!!! They chose ME out of so many other applicants!!! Reading my welcome e-mail was surreal. I called any and everybody to tell them my great news, “Guess what?!!!!!” was my official tagline. It was like second nature to take a picture of the e-mail and Tweet it, Instagram it, and upload it on FaceBook.  I wanted the world to know!
My first day as an intern was super exciting. Yeah, we went over rules and expectations but even that was interesting. My new boss, Marcy, was the bomb.com! I could definitely tell she didn’t take any BS from anyone. And let me add that she is a BEAST when it comes to this PR stuff. Upon starting, I did my research on her and her resume is sicckkkkkkk! She was awesome. After meeting with Marcy and the other PR interns, we had a tour of the office. It was fab as I thought it would be. I even saw Eric Benet and Wendy Raquel Robinson (Tasha from The Game) walking around the office. Things were going so good.
I was learning everything there is to know about Public Relations. I learned how to write a press release and an item, how to compose a clip report, how to look for mentions, and what an editorial calendar and media kit were. I was so happy with how this internship was turning out. It only got better!
A week before the BET Awards ’12, I received news from Marcy that I was selected to go to LA and work them. Life couldn’t get any better. I was probably the happiest girl on earth. The awards were AMAZING! The day of the show, I worked right under Marcy at the top of the red carpet where all the stars got out of their cars. That was super cool. It was hectic though. Everything was fast paced and urgent. I loved it. Overall, my internship was exactly what an internship should be. I learned and had fun at the same time. It helped me confirm my decision to become a publicist.
Get an internship. Trust me; you’ll thank me in the end. J

UMES Family!
Leave a comment.
SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.
The Real Life @ UMES Blog is written by students. It is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment