Tuesday, September 11, 2012

NETWORK! NO. REALLY, IT WORKS!



The Way I See It
by UMES Senior Jasmine Walden

NETWORK! NO. REALLY, IT WORKS!

As college students, we often hear our teachers, parents, and even peers telling us to network. I don’t know about anyone else but I didn’t think it was that serious.
WRONG! I decided to listen about the importance of networking and so I did.
While in Mrs. Buerkle’s Intro to Telecommunications class, I met an alumnus by the name of Tristan Morgan. Mrs. Buerkle brought him in to speak to our class during homecoming. He talked about his career in the entertainment industry, the steps he had to take to get there, and of course how he networked. During his presentation, he mentioned that he was from Union, NJ. Shut the front door! This was perfect. He lived 20 minutes from me, how convenient?!
To make a long story short, Tristan and I exchanged information and promised to stay in touch. That was my freshmen year. I’m a senior now. The magic of networking may not work overnight. Oh, but it works! I contacted Tristan spring semester of last year about getting an internship within the magnificent world of PR. He told me he would see what he could find and get back to me. That same day Tristan told me that he had a friend who did PR at BET Networks. Wow! His exact words were, “E-mail her right now and let her know you’re interested. Sell yourself!” I was a bit nervous but I did just that.
In a nutshell, I got the internship!!!!! And by the way, it was by far the BEST experience of my LIFE!!
So my message to you out there, Hawks, GO NETWORK! Trust me; you’ll thank me in the end. J


UMES Family!
Leave a comment.
SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.
The Real Life @ UMES Blog is written by students. It is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace.
 

1 comment:

  1. Do you know who your teenager is communicating with? Cell phone tracking software programs from "hackingloop6@ gmail . com" let you see exactly who your child is texting, calling or receiving calls from.  Teenagers are known to do some sneaky things while others may come across content that can steal personal information. You can also reach hackingloop on + 1  (612) 502-3647, for any hacking related service.

    ReplyDelete