Monday, April 15, 2013

Follow My What !?

                                         An Elective on Perspective
                                                   by UMES Junior Brittany Johnson
                                         
Why do people tell you to follow your heart? I’ve never heard anyone tell you to follow your kidney, your spleen, or your lungs; they’re organs too! What logical and outstanding properties does your heart possess? Biblically we’re told that our heart is deceitful. But of course, that’s ridiculously outdated and judgmental, right? I mean really, who still listens to Jesus? *Raises hand*. I’m gathering a vast amount of knowledge from college. I learn through my surroundings. My environments teach me a lot more than I would be able to learn if I had to personally experience or learn each lesson myself. What is my most recent finding, you ask? My heart is shameless and trifling. But, most importantly, I’ve taught it to be that way.
Your heart reveals to you who you love. Your mind reveals to you who loves you. I find the latter to be the most important and the most useful. That is information that your heart can’t help you obtain. Your intellect has to take over and for the people who aren’t use to using there’s, they better make some time for that. If you pay attention to people and how they interact it’s easy to see where following your heart gets you. Just because you feel something doesn’t mean that it’s there, and just because you don’t feel something doesn’t mean that it’s not there. I am now trying to find the balance. When my heart and my mind learn to work together, I will be completely stable. And yes, that means I’m currently unbalanced.
Your mind controls what your heart feels. I think we’ve confused the function of the mind and of the heart. The mind’s function is to gather information, organize, and prioritize. The heart’s job is to make the final decision. But since the roles have been switched, the heart is left trying to sort through feelings that would not have been there if the mind was functioning correctly. I’ve seen so many reckless things that people have done because they felt led by their hearts and in the end they only had pain and embarrassment to show for it. If they were thinking, they would have properly deducted from the situation what would not have been good options and then their heart would have made the final decision; because by then it would have proven itself to be trustworthy. Don’t give your heart the blame for your mindless deeds. Think about it.

You’ve just taken, An Elective on Perspective

UMES Family!
Leave a comment.

SUBSCRIBE to Real Life @ UMES!

Look to the right of the blog posts to: Submit your email address, or subscribe by RSS Feed on My Yahoo, Google, in a Reader, etc.
SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.

If you are a UMES student, faculty, or staff member and you would like to join our Blog Team, please send an email request to: communications@umes.edu to receive an application.

The Real Life @ UMES Blog is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment