Monday, April 15, 2013

New Girl, New City

                                                Regurgitating Thoughts 
                                                Real Thoughts from your Average Chick
 
                                                 By UMES Senior Jordan Hamilton
                                                         

And just like that my entire life flashed before my eyes.
 The one thing I’ve wanted since I was a little girl was actually happening. I remember taking weekend trips up to New York with my parents and older brother to visit my family. Driving through the city with eyes as wide as a child in a candy store, I knew that one day I would call this over populated city home. I wasn’t sure if it was the sound of the busy traffic and fire engines that pierced my ears late at night, the diversity of people that walked the jam packed streets or the fashion sense that made me fall in love with New York. Maybe it was all three things, but I loved the Big Apple something serious.
As I got older I started traveling up to the city by myself for the day. The independence of being in such a huge place on my own made me feel like I was sitting on top of the world. It was the first time I took the bus up to Manhattan on a solo day trip that I knew right away when I graduated from college I would do whatever it took to make this place my home. I spoke so highly of New York that my friends and family would occasionally get annoyed from my constant random conversations about moving there. I was always reminded by those closest to me that New York was way too expensive and I would need a great job in order to live comfortably. Those negative comments always went in one ear and out the other. I knew that my family and friends were only telling me the truth, but I wanted those closest to me to respect my dream just as much as I did. Although the price of living in New York was quite pricey, I believed that where there is a will there will be a way.
Around my junior year of college I started looking online at brownstones and apartments in New York just for fun. I continued browsing apartments for two years and finally January 2013, I set my dreams in stone. I finally told myself that I wouldn’t allow money to deter me from what I want most.  I’ve always been one to trust in God and give all my worries and cares to him. That is exactly what I did and believe it or not, my prayers were answered. After dreaming for so many years, my dream has finally been made a reality.
I graduate from the University of Maryland Eastern Shore on May 17th, 2013 and I will be leaving to begin my new life in New York City the following week. I am forever grateful for the many blessings that have come my way, as well as the one that will come my way in months to come. I have been living in Maryland for nearly 23 years and now is the perfect time to start fresh. We all dream, but so many times as human beings we give up on those dreams because we are either told they aren’t believable or we can’t achieve them. My advice to you is no matter how huge the dream may be NEVER EVER give up. I’m excited to begin this new chapter of my life and hopefully my story has inspired you to follow your dreams just like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment