Monday, April 1, 2013

Make it a Great Day with Positive Thoughts

                                 Make it a Great Day with Positive Thoughts
                                         By UMES senior Kyla Bibbins
                                        
Have you ever had such a good day that you feel like your floating and nothing can bring you back on solid ground? I had one of those days yesterday and I blame it on positive energy. I once read somewhere that if you have positive thoughts, your actions will follow. Yesterday I woke up feeling a little sluggish. So I woke up, jumped out of bed, hopped in the shower, and then attempted to start getting dressed. Until  I realized that my clothes that where in the dryer the night before, where still wet inside of the dryer, so what I planned on wearing for the day was too wet to put on.
My initial reaction to the unfortunate event was to yell, complain, and scream. The clock already read 7:25pm and I needed to be at the shuttle stop by 7:40. At this point, I was cutting it close, and was starting to worry that I was going to miss the shuttle and have to walk to class in the rain. I franticly started looking for clothes in the closet to throw on as quickly as possible. I found that moving fast was not working for me; it was only causing me to overlook clothing items. So I took a deep breath told myself to relax. A phrase that my High school Principle used to say everyday on the morning announcements came to mind, “Make it a great day, or not, the choice is yours”.
 Then it hit me, what he really meant by that phrase is, that my thought process can dictate my mood, which will ultimately dictate my day. I then took another deep breath and told myself, “take your time and find something to wear, if you miss the bus, you won’t melt walking in the rain”. To my surprise it worked, I instantly found something to wear, by merely calming down.  I told myself from then on, I was going to have a great day and guess what, it worked!
When I arrived to my 8:00 a.m. class I received my grades for a midterm and an essay. The midterm exam, wasn’t my best grade, let’s just keep it at that, but my essay grade was an A. Both assignments have a high weighted value in that particular class, typically the midterm exam grade would have made me depressed for the rest of the day. But on this particular day I told myself, “at least you tried on your midterm; you got an “A” on your essay, be thankful for the “A”.
Yesterday was one of the best day’s I have had in a long time, simply because I decided to use my thoughts to guide me towards positive energy. I challenge you to try to make your day as good as my day was yesterday. They say positive thoughts are contagious; I hope you catch my positive energy!
Be Blessed,
Kyla Bibbins 
UMES Family!
Leave a comment.

SUBSCRIBE to Real Life @ UMES!

Look to the right of the blog posts to: Submit your email address, or subscribe by RSS Feed on My Yahoo, Google, in a Reader, etc.
SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.

If you are a UMES student, faculty, or staff member and you would like to join our Blog Team, please send an email request to: communications@umes.edu to receive an application.

The Real Life @ UMES Blog is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Kyla. I must agree that you need to start the day with a smile and of course live in positive thoughts!

    ReplyDelete