Wednesday, April 24, 2013

My Story

                                      
My Story
by UMES senior Kyla Bibbins
The countdown is on! In less than 24 days I will be another proud UMES graduate. It seems like just yesterday I was leaving Smyrna, Delaware headed for Princess Anne, Maryland, but that was almost 4 years ago I know graduation is right around the corner but the reality has not quite hit me that I will not be returning to UMES for the fall semester.
I will never forget the day I moved into University Terrace back in August of 2009. It was on that day that I decided that UMES was going to be my home away from home. I remember not knowing what to expect when I got to college. I moved in on a warm Saturday afternoon. I was greeted by a friendly resident assistant who gave me the key to my room. My mom and my cousin helped me move in, gave me their blessings, some mace (that I never had to use), and went back to Smyrna, Delaware.  

That’s when it hit me… I didn’t know anybody at UMES. Here it was a Saturday; I had no TV and didn’t know anyone. I remember thinking to myself, “I am not sitting in this room staring at these blank walls all day”. So I decided to go for a walk to get to know the campus. I am so happy I decided to step out of my comfort zone and take a walk all alone on this big beautiful campus. When I went outside I ended up meeting a lot of people, some of them have even become close friends. 

Now that I am less than 25 days away from graduation, I realize that my first day at UMES symbolized my change from a teenager to a young lady. It was the start of my college career, a part of my story. 

Graduating produces a bittersweet feeling, if I must say. The fact that I will have to say goodbye to some of my friends that have become like family is bitter, the fact that I will have a Bachelor’s degree is sweet! I’m happy but I’m sad. For the last four years I have called UMES my home away from home. I have learned here and partied here, laughed here and cried here. Despite all of the trials and tribulations, I still made it to today!
Today I am a senior at UMES and I will be graduating in less than 25 days! My experience here at UMES has been one that I will never forget! I am still shocked to be a senior, graduating in less than 25 days! But overall I am ready to continue chasing my dreams in the real world outside of UMES.
Be blessed,
Kyla Bibbins
UMES Family!
Leave a comment.

SUBSCRIBE to Real Life @ UMES!

Look to the right of the blog posts to: Submit your email address, or subscribe by RSS Feed on My Yahoo, Google, in a Reader, etc.
SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.

If you are a UMES student, faculty, or staff member and you would like to join our Blog Team, please send an email request to: communications@umes.edu to receive an application.

The Real Life @ UMES Blog is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment