Monday, November 26, 2012

“All Bets Are on”

                                                               
An Elective on Perspective
by UMES Junior Brittany Johnson
                                               

“All Bets Are on”

Guy, I did something this past week that made me think of myself differently. A word of advice? Never take a bet. Especially a month long bet. As if a day, week, or two week long commitment isn’t enough of a challenge, I had to take one that lasts for thirty days. And the worst part is… it’s personal. My friends came for my life. Two of my friends started this inevitable domino effect by taking bets that they would give up certain things that they felt they were addicted to. It was my bright idea, while in the café with my friend, that all of us should take bets. And guess what they came up with for me? I cannot be “calm ratchet”.  They coined a phrase for my special type of ratchetness. Pause. Can you believe the audacity? To imply that I am any form of ratchet of course resulted with me being taken aback. I mean, where did they get this from? “Calm” implies that I am reserved regarding my ratchetness. Only people who really know me can tell when I am being “ratchet”.
I mean, really? What type of person has to be made to consciously speak? *raises hand* Not being able to laugh at, wittingly inadvertently reference, or uncontrollably commentate on the going-ons around me is painful. Alas, here I am. I am being forced to think before I speak. And you know the worse part? It’s compelled me to realize that I’ve been so use to blurting out the second thing that comes to mind, (because the first thing is usually shamelessly uncouth), I’ve become incapable of controlling every word that comes out of my mouth. ME! I’m miss finesse. I can finagle a word until it makes its own sentence. And unfortunately, I cannot convince my subconscious mind to join with my conscious mind and agree on content before I articulate. Sigh. I’ve been coerced to take a long look at myself, and I’m not appreciating the view. My friends gave me an elective on their perspectives. Oh, the irony.
Hawk family, try something for me. Ask those closest to you what they think you cannot go without doing. Whatever it is, consider it. Don’t boastfully deny, like I did, to contradict the observances of people who view you in a better light than you are capable of viewing yourself. Mull it over. The saying, “If it doesn’t apply, let it fly” only applies if you’ve allotted enough time for the issue to be taken into account; instead of dismissing the accusation and sending it out into the atmosphere so that you don’t have to face it. Here I stand (sit) completely exposed. I’ve told you my secret. I am calm ratchet. I am composed, pulled together, unruffled, and distinguished. And at the very same time, unwarranted, needless, excessive, exacting, undecorated, austere expressions stream from my lips. Oh, my dilemma. Witty? Yes. Uncalled-for? Absolutely! As I find my balance this month, this long month, I want you to find out what you need to balance. Good luck!

You’ve just taken, An Elective on Perspective.

UMES Family!
Leave a comment.

SUBSCRIBE to Real Life @ UMES!

Look to the right of the blog posts to: Submit your email address, or subscribe by RSS Feed on My Yahoo, Google, in a Reader, etc.
SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.

If you are a UMES student, faculty, or staff member and you would like to join our Blog Team, please send an email request to: communications@umes.edu to receive an application.

The Real Life @ UMES Blog is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment