Friday, November 2, 2012

College: Are You Majoring in a Minor?

An Elective on Perspective
by UMES Junior Brittany Johnson
 

College: Are You Majoring in a Minor?
Alternate Title: Should you have "Ratchet Methodology" and "Home-Training Expungement" on your transcipt?
For most of us, from the time we’re born, we know that we are expected to attend a University. We know that from our parents, grandparents, society, etc. We are taught that we need to be here, but we’re not always taught what to major in. We have the pleasure of finding that out on our own. But, is it really a pleasure? Or is it a time consuming disadvantage? If you enter into college already knowing what and who you want to be, won’t that expedite the voyage?
I know people, including myself, who major in one thing and focus on another. I’m a procrastinator. I know, I know. I absolutely know better. BUT, in my defense, I’m only an undergraduate. I’ll learn to prioritize when I get a real job…right? When I am being paid the big bucks that will be my motivation to do better and make sure that I am earning my paychecks.  Oh, that’s not how it works? Darn! So when I’m ready to beat the person within an inch of their life because they’re walking down the pathway to Waters or the SSC, that’s ¼ of a mile in width, like their merging over into my lane, I’m majoring in a minor? I’m ready to put my efforts, (hands), into (onto) something that will lead me nowhere beneficial (jail)?
I want to find out when the misconception was conceived, that made us hypothesize, that you walk across the graduation stage a different person than the one who walked onto it. The habits that you form in college are that habits that you will carry out into the world.  
College isn’t a place that you go just to learn facts and techniques. Ultimately, it’s where you go to learn yourself.
You’re travelling down the same avenues that started your journey; the route that you chose. The question is, are you prepared for wherever you end up? Or did you spend four or more years majoring in a minor? I’m a junior and I’ve spent a whole lot of time on things that, at the end of the day, didn’t benefit me at all. Do we worry more about the ‘move’ for the night instead of that test in the morning? Is it really important if your makeup is flawless and you’re dressed for the Grammy’s instead of being on time, or even attend, your 8 a.m. class?
Oh, what are the minors offered here at UMES? I’m glad you asked! Individuals minor in: Smoking, Drinking, Fashion-Show-Readiness, Ratchet Methodology, What-Those-Hands-do Rehabilitation, How Many Things Can I Catch (and hawk pride isn’t one of them), Bed-Economics, Home-Training Expungement, Bare Curricular Minimum,  and my favorite, How-to Disrespect My Teacher 101. If one of these minors is yours, then there is no point in having a major. The amount of time that minoring in any of these subjects will consume, will monopolize the time that you would need to become anything worth being. Your major is whatever you spend the majority of your time on.
Are you majoring in a minor?
You’ve just taken An Elective on Perspective.
UMES Family!
Leave a comment.
SUBSCRIBE to Real Life @ UMES!
Look to the right of the blog posts to: Submit your email address, or subscribe by RSS Feed on My Yahoo, Google, in a Reader, etc.
SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.
If you are a UMES student, faculty, or staff member and you would like to join our Blog Team, please send an email request to: communications@umes.edu to receive an application.
The Real Life @ UMES Blog is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment