Thursday, November 29, 2012

Thought Intrusion: Our Generation in need of a Renovation

A Dash of Am
by UMES Senior Amber Green



Thought Intrusion: Our Generation in need of a Renovation
 I feel like our generation is like a house built on a unstable foundation. Looks pretty on the outside, modern on the inside but what holds us together is rotting. We have floor boards creaking, beams rotting, pipes leaking, and electrical wires proposing a fire hazard. We appear to be this Dream home but we are this unlivable nightmare.
Our generation looks nice. We have new inventions, powerful leaders, and progress being made but the reality is we are very much unstable. Our foundation is unstable. Our Structure is weak. Our faith and our belief is not strong. We lack obedience and respect. So here we have this beautiful home; pretty on the outside, modern on the inside but each and every day we are weakening because our foundation; our structure is unstable.
So before we can house new occupants; produce more generations, we have to fix ourselves. We have to renovate. Everyone who knows me know that I love me some HGTV. So I know there are many ways you can renovate a home. You can do one room at a time or you can go as far as tearing down a home completely and start again from the ground up. Most people find homes where you meet in the middle. You gut out of the home. Clean it from inside out. Leaving only the structure of the home.
My generation needs to be gutted out. I think we need to remove all the thinking and mind frames society places on us. We aren't beautiful if we aren't a size 5. We aren't pretty if we don't wear make-up. We aren't all that if we aren't Ralph Lauren Polo all day, everyday.
We need to remove the false idea that is ok to argue with our mothers and fist fight our fathers. We need to get rid of the idea that I can smoke weed on Monday and Tuesday, Drink all Wednesday and Thursday, Party all night long Friday and Saturday and wake up just before noon to catch church on T.V on Sunday.
We need to be gutted out.
No where do I think I am perfect. I know I am not but I do know I am one step closer to becoming perfect in HIS image, now that I know I personally need to be gutted out and work on my frames and tighten a few bolts and do a little remodeling myself.
UMES Family!
Leave a comment.
SUBSCRIBE to Real Life @ UMES!
Look to the right of the blog posts to: Submit your email address, or subscribe by RSS Feed on My Yahoo, Google, in a Reader, etc.
SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.
If you are a UMES student, faculty, or staff member and you would like to join our Blog Team, please send an email request to: communications@umes.edu to receive an application.
The Real Life @ UMES Blog is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment