Monday, November 26, 2012

College Circus Act: The Juggler

                                                    
A Dash of Am
 by UMES Senior Amber Green
                                                              
                                             
College Circus Act: The Juggler

In college, I’ve gained some skills; you would think was a main act in a circus. Socially, I could go on and on about the crazy situations I’ve gotten myself into at UMES but that is another post alone. I want to focus on the skill I’ve acquired that amazes me. I just want to be real and say I’ve become a juggler, as many other students, in the UMES College Circus Act. Who has heard an adult say, “All you have to do is get good grades and that is all, nothing else. “ Oh how, I look at them like they are crazy. As wise as our elders are, sometimes I think they are stuck in a time warp. We are in a generation where grades matter to an extent but building a resume, networking, gaining experience, and having that “college experience” compete with that. Sometimes grades end up losing in the battle.
After I got over the “I hate this school because it’s boring” phase, I got involved on campus. This is where I began to dabble in the art of juggling. I was secretary of a student organization and eventually moved to Vice President. Holding a leadership position put a spark in me that I couldn’t ignore. It opened my mind to so many ideas I had and goals I wanted to accomplish at school and in life. So I left that organization. A group of students and I came together and created a campus magazine and that led to the creation of Spotlight Magazine. Beginning as an assistant Editor, I worked my way to Editor-in-Chief. This is where the juggling became difficult. It was hard managing my own class schedule, try taking on 30 student’s schedules and a strict deadline. Let me just say, I was taking on a load of and I was also a member of Women of Distinction, and Vice president of Rhythm and Reason, when it just started. Oh! Let me not forget to say I was in a very committed relationship and a member of National Society of Leadership and Success and working part-time. You can see where this is leading. A few of these were dropped and/or suffered. I juggled way too much. I forgot to learn how to prioritize. Eventually, Spotlight Magazine was the one organization that my heart and soul was in and because of my lack of prioritizing and lack of dedication from some members, it is no longer active but I’m happy to say we produced 3 magazines. I left Rhythm and Reason and the only organization that I am officially apart of is Women of Distinction. I no longer work and as much as I love money, I need to get up out of this school. I now have taken up responsibilities that are more beneficiary and less demanding for instance, writing for this blog and being Assisting Fashion Editor of i.d.e.a.l. Magazine.
It’s hard out here on the shore! You get involved with the campus to stay active and not bored, you enroll in classes, you “fall in love”, and you network with so many people, become student leaders. College is a Circus and a lot of students are jugglers. I wasn’t the best but I did it and now I’ve gotten the hang of it. I believe SGA members, student athletes, students who work, and students with families, students with kids; these students are great jugglers. I salute you all!!
UMES Family!

Leave a comment.

SUBSCRIBE to Real Life @ UMES!

Look to the right of the blog posts to: Submit your email address, or subscribe by RSS Feed on My Yahoo, Google, in a Reader, etc.

SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.

If you are a UMES student, faculty, or staff member and you would like to join our Blog Team, please send an email request to: communications@umes.edu to receive an application.

The Real Life @ UMES Blog is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment