Friday, November 16, 2012

Hip Hop is NOT Dead

Regurgitating Thoughts 
Real Thoughts from your Average Chick

By UMES Senior Jordan Hamilton
 

Hip Hop is NOT Dead
Growing up the only thing that was anticipated during school was recess, lunch and the ringing of the school bell at the end of the day. English, Social Studies, Science and the most dreadful class ever, math, was not my typical idea of exciting, but that all changed my senior year of college. Months prior, I had heard about this Hip Hop class that was being offered. Word on the street was that the professor was one of the best teachers at the University. My first thought was, “Hmm, a dancing class. I wouldn’t mind learning a few new dance moves”. Little did I know that this wasn’t an actual dancing class, but it was a Hip Hop History class and I was definitely impressed. A few of my friends had already taken this mystery teacher I had never heard of and from that moment on I knew this was the class for me. I hopped on Hawk Web and went on a serious manhunt for this class. It took me awhile, but I found it and even managed to get one of my close friends to enroll with me. I was super excited and I seldom was excited for any class.
The time had finally arrived and it was the first day of class. I kind of had an idea of what to expect from what my friends had told me, but I wanted to find out for myself. It was Monday at approximately 4:50 in the evening and I was sitting in a classroom alone. I was obviously a little early, but that gave me enough time to find the perfect seat. Time wasn’t going by fast enough, I was ready for class to begin. It was finally 5:15 and I wasn’t alone anymore. It was a small amount of students, but that was perfect. As I patiently waited for this mystery teacher I had heard such great things about to walk through the door, he finally arrived. I was picturing a middle aged African American man who wore FUBU with his pants leg rolled up. I was entirely wrong, this man was a young African American man who was not only dapper, but you could tell he was educated. I loved the fact that he interacted with the students from the beginning, unlike other professors I have had over the years. From that day forward, Hip Hop History had become one of my favorite courses I have ever taken.
I grew up with three older brothers so Hip Hop had a huge influence on my life growing up. I loved music, but I learned to love Hip Hop on another level. I actually connected with the music and listened to what the artist was actually saying rather than just enjoying it for the beat. The fact that I was already  familiar with Hip Hop made me enjoy this class even more. Throughout the semester we focused on artists such as Common, Jay-Z, Kanye, 2PAC, and  Nas in depth, but we also touched on the History of Hip Hop, controversial issues throughout the Hip Hop Community and Hip Hop and Politics. I had entered the class on the first day with a little insight as to Hip Hop and what it’s about, but I left the class at the end of the semester with so much more.
I had never enjoyed a class on the level that I did this one, not only did this class allow me to be myself and open up, but it also allowed me to enjoy learning. I have never been the type of person to raise my hand and speak in front of others, but that all changed after I enrolled in this course. I actually looked forward to coming to class and I only missed one class the entire semester which was surprising to me because how many other courses I was taking at the same time.
Unfortunately, not too many students at UMES know about Dr.Wright and his impressive teaching skills. He not only teaches, but he allows the students to have a voice as well. I have had a plethora of professors throughout my four years at the University, but out of them all Dr. Wright would have to be my favorite. Having a teacher who enjoys Hip Hop music just as much as his student is what makes this class so different from the other courses offered. If you are a fan of Hip Hop and would enjoy having the privilege of learning about the history more in depth with a teacher who actually takes the time to explain and teach his students, I urge you to enroll in Dr. Wright’s Hip Hop History class.  You will not regret it.
UMES Family!
Leave a comment.
SUBSCRIBE to Real Life @ UMES!
Look to the right of the blog posts to: Submit your email address, or subscribe by RSS Feed on My Yahoo, Google, in a Reader, etc.
SHARE our blog with other people interested in Real Life @ UMES.
If you are a UMES student, faculty, or staff member and you would like to join our Blog Team, please send an email request to: communications@umes.edu to receive an application.
The Real Life @ UMES Blog is a place for our commentary and opinions about what life is really like @ the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. It is not designed to express the views and opinions of the University as a whole. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment